Deputy News Editor
The Deputy News Editor plays a pivotal role in coordinating and overseeing the newsdesk and newsgathering functions. Responsible for making sure all the teams in the bureaux and in the field deliver the necessary output for television and online. Close liaison is required with programme teams in Istanbul. You will be required to coordinate with deployment, satellite and news technology divisions.
- Highly organised with strong editorial understanding.
- Assists and at times will deputise for the Senior News Editor in coordinating between the teams in bureaux and field and the needs of the television output teams and digital platforms.
- Supports the teams in the field with editorial input, factual information and direction.
- Assists the news editors in coordinating the daily diary.
- Supports the news desk with administrative functions such as editorial, satellite and financial logs.
- You will be willing to work flexibly in a shift pattern to support the full 24 hours of rolling news.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Excellent organiser and journalist.
- A desire to pursue news lines with strong editorial judgment.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Previous experience in a large national or international broadcast news channel.
- Understanding or experience working in the field.
- Experience working in other areas of television news such as satellite operations or assignments an advantage.
- Impeccable Arabic writing and editing skills, in particular, the ability to edit/rewrite stories quickly.
- Fluency in English highly advantageous.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience.